Greetings, DVIA Families!
From Our Principal
I hope you have a great Spring Break! I've really enjoyed seeing Exhibition in various spaces and look forward to those continuing when we return! I have a few announcements as we head into break. Thanks for taking the time to read them!
We are excited to announce DVIA's Summer Camp and hope your child(ren) will join us! Keep the learning and fun going even after school is out. We've created 8 different themes--a little something for everyone! A special note about the musical theater camp in July: the final performance will be on the morning of August 1st and students in both camps will perform for their own families, any other DVIA friends and families who want to attend and it will be a "welcome back" performance for the staff, who will begin their professional development for the 2018-2019 school year that day! So much fun! Also, to make the registration process easy and convenient, we've created an Eventbrite for online sign up and payment! Thanks for joining us!
I also want to share some information about next year. While the bulk of our planning will begin in May, June and August during our professional development time together, I have some new information:
- I'm excited to announce that next year, we will have a full-sized, dedicated classroom for our Parent Educator Resource Center (PERC)! Gather with friends to attend a workshop, lesson plan, enjoy a cup of coffee, collaborate on homeschool projects...Enjoy connecting and building community!
- To provide guidance and support, PERC will be staffed with a Homeschool Curriculum Specialist--a DVIA teacher who is there to support you, help you access curriculum, provide workshops and so much more!
- The Hybrid kindergarten program is expanding to 2 classes and the kindergarten hours are now set:
- August through December: 9:15-1:00
- January until Spring Break: 9:15-1:45
- After Spring Break until June: 9:15-3:15
(Please note that in the Collaborative program, kindergarten hours will remain 9:15-3:15 and parents can choose all or part of the day)
- We will have 3 hybrid teachers who dedicate part of their day to serving a "Response to Home Instruction" role so that we can provide a tiered, responsive approach to families who need additional support in their homeschooling. This will allow classroom teachers more time to support all families with workshops, feedback about their student's growth, instructional strategies and more!
- In August, staff will spend 2 weeks preparing for the year, per our usual schedule. However, for one week after that, families will have a chance to ease into homeschooling and get to know their teachers during a 1 week period in which every family will have an opportunity for a one-on-one meeting with their teacher(s) to get to know each other, ask questions and express needs. While our calendar is not yet board approved, please plan for approximately the following:
- Be available for a 45-60 minute check in/orientation with your teacher between August 16-24th
- Classes will begin on campus in both Hybrid and Collaborative Program August 27th
- We are excited to start the year in a more supportive and connected way!
- I would like to clarify that your child's at-school time will be spent primarily with his/her main teacher and peers, just like now. However, I've heard your request to bring elective-type classes into your child's at-school experience! While time of day and type of class will vary by grade level, your child will spend approximately 45 minutes doing enriching learning beyond the already awesome projects and content skill development.
- I am excited to announce that we are developing a Speaker Series for parents--join us for a variety of inspirational guest speakers, thought-provoking documentaries and more!
- In collaboration with our school nurse, Emily Green, we will be delivering an optional, monthly Middle School Health Series that helps students explore important topics related to their development. More info coming in the fall.
- Lastly (for now), in order to continually expose students to a wide range of future possibilities, we are developing a Career Speaker Series for all students. This will be an opportunity for them to hear from a variety of professionals and ask questions.
I hope this information is helpful and has you looking forward to next year! We sure are!
From Our Dean of Students
I hope you are excited for Spring Break and have plans for whatever is going to rejuvenate you and fill your bucket! I am looking forward to spending lots of time relaxing with my family :)
I want to remind you that State Testing for 3rd-8th grade students will take place beginning the week of 4/16 (two weeks after we return from break). I have uploaded the power point I presented during "Donuts with the Dean", which includes a link to practice tests for the ELA and Math tests here. If your student would find it helpful to become familiar with the format of the test before testing begins, walking through these practice tests may meet that need and help them feel most prepared for their testing experience.
We only have 5 tires left to claim if any families are interested in creating tiny worlds (reference my previous blurb with photo examples)! This could make a great home school project! Let me know if you're interested :)
Finally, I'd like to celebrate our Core 5 students on a successful spring Exhibition! They shared their knowledge of Mayan history, temples, creation myths, and Mayan chocolate (yum!)!!
What You Need to Know This Week
Last Chance to Purchase Yearbooks!
This year, Da Vinci Innovation Academy is using TreeRing for our yearbooks! Here are three reasons we chose TreeRing:
- Custom Yearbooks: Every student gets a one-of-a-kind printed copy containing two free pages to customize with personal photos.
- Green Yearbooks: TreeRing plants a tree in our school's name when you purchase a book and prints on recycled paper.
- Beautiful Yearbooks: All yearbooks are gorgeously printed in full color using the highest end print production available.
You can purchase and personalize your Da Vinci Innovation Academy Yearbook by clicking here
- Your personalized yearbook only costs $18.85.
- You'll need to purchase your copy and complete your free personal pages by April 15.
- Your 2 free custom pages are optional; if you don't customize, you'll receive a standard yearbook.
Physical Fitness Testing
As stated in Kaitlin's previous blurb, all 5th and 7th grade students will participate in the CA Physical Fitness Test (PFT). DVIA 5th and 7th grade students will participate in the test during the week of April 30 through May 4
from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Hybrid students will participate during their school day. Collaborative students need to participate on Monday or Tuesday AND a Thursday or Friday. See e-mail from Kaitlin for more details if you have a Collaborative student in grades 5 or 7. All students participating in the PFT need to wear athletic shoes and comfortable clothing (DVIA dress code appropriate) or bring a change of clothes for the test. E-mail Kaitlin
Looking for Replacement Enrichment Ideas for Next Year?
Kate Vokoun has created a simple Google Doc to help parent educators connect and collaborate on Wednesdays next year. If you're interested in this, please visit the various tabs of the doc and add your information to join this ongoing brainstorm. We will be meeting after spring break to discuss, so please add your info to the doc to stay updated.
8th Grade Beach Photo Shoot!
Wednesday, April 11, 3:30 pm underneath Manhattan Beach Pier
See Kaitlin's e-mail to 8th grade families for more information.
Annual Giving Campaign - Matching Challenge - Donate Today!
Please consider donating now! Matching ends April 30th!
There has never been a better time to support Da Vinci Schools! Donate or pledge by April 30, 2018 and your contribution will be DOUBLED by our generous industry partners, up to $75,000. All pledge payments must be received by June 30, 2018 to be eligible for the match. Annual Giving dollars provide unrestricted funds and flexibility that allow us to address urgent needs and take advantage of special opportunities as they arise. They also provide funding for hands-on curriculum, a materials budget for every teacher, and much more.
Every gift makes a difference! Give online or download a pledge card today! We thank you!
Save the Date
Middle School Dance!
Friday, April 27, 7pm
Please reference Kaitlin's email (sent 3/9) for more information. The dance committee will resume planning on April 11 @ 2:15! The committee is open to all middle schoolers!
Chumash Village Family Field Trip
Thursday-Saturday, May 10-12
Join Da Vinci families on a parent-led field trip to Wishtoyo's Chumash Village - a unique and authentic re-creation of a working Native American village! Visit this link to get more information. This is a family sponsored trip and completely optional to attend, but it's always a good way to connect with fellow Da Vincians!
DVIA Cultural Fair
Thursday, May 31, 4:30-7pm
Mark your calendars and plan to join us! Get more information, sign up to help, and RSVP here!
Did You Know...
...the Learning Goals listed on your child's work journal (AKA the Common Core State Standards) are explained on the Parent Educator Resource website? From the homepage, choose "Learning Goals" on the top menu, then choose the area you want to better understand and then your child's level. (If you're just getting started choose your child's grade level, but go up or down from there to find where your child really is.)
Have a great week!
~Your DVIA Team