Greetings, DVIA Families!
A Few Words from Our Principal
I hope you enjoyed the beautiful weather this weekend.
I want to take a moment to share one of the things I love most about our school community. We have created a space where we are all valued, where we all give and receive, and where we are all welcome. We are diverse in our beliefs, values, aspirations, and styles. We believe in showing love and being loved, celebrating others and being celebrated, empathizing and receiving empathy, communicating carefully and with the intent to listen, welcoming those around us, seeking to understand, and coming together in genuine friendship.
DVIA's staff holds all of this dear and we want you to know that regardless of influences outside our school community, we are unwavering. Your children are safe with us, they are welcome here, your family is valued, and we are glad you are here.
Thank you for being part of my family's community.
From Our Dean of Students
I enjoyed seeing so many of you at our Winter Social on Tuesday! It was great to see families re-connect and new connections being made over yummy food and hot cocoa :) Thank You again to Lachmi and our other FAN families for organizing this great event!
What You Need to Know This Week
DVIA Re-enrollment and Transfer Requests Be on the lookout for a re-enrollment e-mail to hit your inbox on Wednesday, Feb 1. You will need to login to your SchoolMint account and complete the necessary steps to secure your child's enrollment in 2017-18 and request a transfer. The deadline to complete re-enrollment is 2/15. If you have questions reach out to Brianne Allen.
DVIA Apparel Webstore Open NOW
Until Monday, Feb 6
The apparel webstore is open once more! Please visit it here, password: davinci. Be sure to take a look at the additional polo color options and the popular "I heart DVIA" t-shirts.
: If you visit the store and see t-shirts with the "I heart DV" image, you may need to delete your browsing history and cookies.
**8th graders must also submit an application for the DV High Schools.**
Da Vinci Schools Enrollment
DEADLINE to Apply: 2/28
If you have a child or know a friend who would like to attend one of the Da Vinci Schools, please click here
There are 4 more information meetings left before the deadline:
Saturday, 2/4 at 9:30 AM
Thursday, 2/23 at 6:00 PM
DV High Schools
Saturday, 2/4 at 11:00 AM
Thursday, 2/16 at 6:00 PM
For more information on the application process, visit here
Save the Date!
8th Grade Families: High School Info Meeting
Wednesday, 2/8 at 2:30 PM
Please join us to learn more about the Da Vinci High School options. Members from the Admin Teams at DV Science, Design, and Communications will meet with 8th grade families in Sascha's room for a Q&A. Current DV high school students will come along to share their experience as well.
P.E.C. #3 (Math Mash) Is Coming Soon!
Wednesday, February 15th 9:15am-2:15pm
You can look forward to:
- Keynote Speaker: Caline Khavarani Smith (UCLA Curtis Center High School Math Specialist and former teacher at Da Vinci Science)
- Break-out sessions developed with an eye toward topics that support all families in their math instruction:
- Real World Math (grades 6-8)
- New Ways to Think About Math (grades 3-5)
- Applying Mathematics to Science (grades 5-8)
- Number Talks and Word Problems (grades K-2)
- Routines, Resources, Tips and Tricks for Planning Math Instruction (grades K-4)
- Making Sense of Numbers: helping students overcome difficulties with number concept
- Time with your teacher(s)
- Unconference time when you can meet up with other home educators to discuss common interests
- Michelle's "Did You Know?" session
- DVIA-provided lunch for all parents attending
- The Raffle...and more
Change is Afoot at PEC...IMPORTANT!
As you begin making arrangements to attend PEC 3, there are 2 important changes to be aware of:
- We ask that school-age children no longer attend PEC. We love your kids; however, space constraints have become an issue, and we have heard that parents' comfort in being able to speak freely has been impacted. If you need to bring younger siblings to PEC with you, please do. We know this change might create a logistics challenge for you, but we have a solution! See change #2.
- PEC 3 Kid Care will be provided on the DVIA campus, NOT at the Memorial Center.
Morning and afternoon childcare sessions for DVIA students and their DVIA-age siblings will be offered ON-CAMPUS AT DVIA, IN THE COLLABORATIVE CLASSROOM. This change will allow us to offer a better experience for the kids.
- The cost is only $5 per session per child.
- Age-appropriate activities will be provided, and you are also welcome to send games or independent work for your child.
- We are able to support transition from Kid Care into Enrichment or from Enrichment into Kid Care.
- Please go to the Signup Genius for more details and to hold a spot for your child, then confirm your reservation by paying at the DVIA front office by Feb. 14th.
If you have any questions, please contact Theresa. See you on the 15th at PEC #3!
Makeup Picture Day
Wednesday, Feb 1, 8:15-8:45am Stacee Lianna will be taking makeup pictures in front of the school.
Discovery Science TechBook Updates
Discovery has made further enhancements to the "Explore" area of its Science TechBook! These updates will provide more rigorous resources for students, providing deeper student engagement. Please note, the "Explore" enhancements are currently available for grades 3-8; updates for K-2 are coming next school year. Highlights include:
|Did You Know...
...the Learning Goals listed on your child's work journal (AKA the Common Core State Standards) are explained on the parent educator resource website? From the homepage, choose "Learning Goals" on the top menu, then click on the area you want to better understand and select your child's level. (If you're just getting started, choose your child's grade level but go up or down from there to find where your child really is.)
Have a great week!
~ Your DVIA Team