New Families FAQ
The Core Details:
- The DVIA front office is open Monday – Friday from 8:15 am to 4:15 pm (except holidays).
- If your child is in the Homeschool Hybrid Program, school starts promptly at 9:15am and ends at 3:15pm.
- At 9:00 the “chalkboard door” will open and classrooms will be available. At the end of the day, we ask that parents wait in the “front yard” outside of the main office until 3:15 pickup.
- A curbside service is available for drop-off and pick-up between 9:00-9:15am and 3:15 – 3:30pm. To support this service, it is critical that you only drive northbound in the parking lot during drop off and pick up.
- If you are not using the curbside service, limited parking is available in the DVIA parking lot, on 135th St., on 138th street and in the Dana Middle School parking lot behind Da Vinci Science.
- Please keep in mind that there is a dress code at DVIA (more information on page 27 on the handbook):
- Shirt Options: Polo shirt of any color or pattern, with or without the Da Vinci logo. Please note: polo-style shirt only.
- Pants/Shorts/Skirts: Pants* and jeans may be worn but may not be cut off or torn/frayed. Skirts and shorts must be 2 inches above the knee or longer. Students may not wear leggings or tights to compensate for too-short skirts or shorts. *Pants/jeans only; no sweats, tights, leggings or pajama pants. Leggings permitted in Cores 1-3 only.
- Jackets/Sweaters/Sweatshirts: May be worn over, but not in place of, the polo (we recommend writing your child’s name on all outerwear).
- Shoes: Must be close-toed and have a back. Shoes with wheels are not permitted on campus.
- Head Covers: Other than religious head covers, all other forms of hats or headdress may not be
- When you join, ask your teacher to connect you to the room parent. The room parent can tell you more about activities in the class & how to join the FB page.
- DVIA sends weekly newsletters. Newsletters are typically sent every Sunday, to the email address you provided upon registration.
- Each teacher has a Digital Portfolio (DP). This is a great resource of ideas, projects, and work journal files.
- You will be receiving a few emails: one with the passwords to DVIA’s sponsored resources & another from the teacher with class specific resources.
- Check out the instructional support links with ideas in Math, Language Arts, and Reader’s/Writer’s Workshop!
- Student Led Conference (SLC’s) are held every semester for all cores. Your teacher will contact you in regards to timing, requirements and content. Check the calendar for any upcoming SLC’s.
- For specific requirements, hours required homeschooling at home, dress code, etc: the handbook is a great resource!
How to Get Involved!
- Families are key partners in DVIA’s unique collaborative learning community. Though we do not require family service hours, we encourage each family to get involved in FAN events to support the community events our amazing Family Action Network hosts annually. The Family Action Network (aka FAN) is a parent-run organization. Your service not only ensures the success of our school, but it also provides our families with valuable opportunities to connect, share and build a network of support. If you have any talents (fundraising opportunities, event support, donations, etc) or resources you would like to share, please contact us!
- Fundraising Opportunity: If you click on Smile.Amazon.com you can add a charity (Wiseburn Educational Foundation). Anytime you shop on Amazon, you start at link: smile.amazon.com and money will be donated to the school. A simple, easy way to help!
- Visit the FAN page to learn more about upcoming events & how you can help!